Friday, February 8, 2013

Bookmarks List/Bedside Table

Currently reading/enjoying....

“Our No Audio, Ourselves,” by Natalie Shapero on the Kenyon Review blog. I think Natalie is brilliant and awesome (not just because of her poems or this post, but her work certainly contributes). In this post, she briefly explores the logic of censorship on reruns of Sex and the City.  A little snippet:
“While the syndicated version of the show offers plenty of substitutions for the types of swear words you might yell at a crashed computer, references to parts of the human body are typically replaced not by synonyms, but by silence.”

I Am Sitting in a Room, by Brian Dillon. This book is the first in Cabinet’s 24-Hour Book series....that’s right, an entire book composed in one day. My favorite part is the strange index at the end....there’s a list of “Books Consulted” and “Food and Drink” consumed. Hey, Cabinet Books....how about a book of poems (um, a slim chapbook) composed in a day? I’d be up for that challenge. (Thanks for this book, Dad!)

This article, “How to Give Birth to a Rabbit,” by Carrie Frye at The Awl. Shudder. Creepy and fascinating.

This explanation of the Dugway Geode Beds, courtesy of the Utah Geological Survey. It’s too bad I’m not good at science, because I’m so darn interested in certain aspects of it! I'm not sure I always get it right in my poems, but I'm so appreciative that I can Google "How do geodes form" and "What minerals are inside of geodes" and "When did Lake Bonneville exist," and have all this information available. Thanks, internet!

How about you? What are your eyeballs lapping up this week?

2 comments

  1. I love the variety here. I just read a book of George Saunders stories. You were right, I loved it! And am reading biographies of Camille Claudel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy the apple didn't fall too far from the tree

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.