Monday, December 5, 2011

Toys Are Us

Toys Are Us

Toys. Figurines. Dolls
and plastic animals,

hollow, pliable, or stiff
and jointed, as if

life equals limbs that bend.
Hair helps us pretend

that toys breathe when
we touch them, and then

lose consciousness away
from our hands. If they

could reason, they might
see us as gravity, or night,

or hunger. We happen
to them, dance and spin

them around the room,
and let them drop. Zoom

back in time, to the earliest
people: blade in one fist,

rock or clay in the other.
They’d chip a tiny mother

from the stone, or bash
a bird into it. Materials thrash

about in our hands, while
we whittle them down, file

them into totems, our copy
of a being. We are sloppy,

inconsistent, see them as real
and not real. We repeal

their existence when we need
to. Toys and stuffed animals feed

our first experiments in truth
and desire--the dolls of our youth

are pets, children. We call
to our toys, and they all

leap up, paw at our jackets
and faces. The racket

of our own loneliness is loud.
We crave a friendly crowd,

smaller than us, but the same.
We carve them, make a game

of choosing their dresses and
homes, their dreams. They land

at our feet, and we’ve forgotten
we made them. When I was given

my first Barbie, at age five,
I knew that she wasn’t alive

but I could not reconcile her brand
with who she was, couldn’t understand--

But what’s her real name, I kept
asking my parents. I couldn’t accept

any answer. She is a Barbie, so
what’s her real name. Do you know.

4 comments

  1. "as if life equals limbs that bend."

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderfully conceived and realized poem.

    And many good lines: " as if // life equal limbs that bend"; "toys breath when / we touch them, and then // lose consciousness/away from our hands"; We repeal // their existence when we need /to"; "Toys and stuffed animals feed // our first experiments in truth/and desire"; "The racket // of our own loneliness is loud."

    I also laughed at your line about Barbie: "I could not reconcile her brand / with who she was...."

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting that you got confused about the brand vs name. I think I embraced both without question. I'll never forget my first Nurse Barbie I got when I was four, in the hospital recovering from a tonsillectomy. I was one with that doll.

    I love this poem Hannah, maybe you could read this one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very good one, indeed. I will look forward to its audio rendition, Hannah. Toys are our firt experiments of truth and desire...Excellent insights. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.